Chicken Cacciatorre: With tender chicken thighs and flavorful sauce, it will be your new Italian favorite.
Everyone’s typical Italian faves are pizza, lasagna, and anything else with red sauce. (#guilty) But please, please, please give Chicken Cacciatore a chance. And watch out. Chicken Cacciatore is prepared with bone-in skin-on chicken thighs which are braised with peppers, onions, and tomatoes, and served over noodles. With extra braising sauce on top. No words. It’s so, so good. The chicken falls off the bone, the noodles are chewy, the peppers give flavor, and the herbs give balance! I love the herbs in Cacciatore. They sort of give your taste buds a happy surprise, turning away from the normal basil and adding turmeric and thyme. 👍👍👍
Making Cacciatore is a process but is well-worth it and simple. Browning the thighs before cooking gives them gorgeous color and gives the pan great flavor (which translates to flavorful foooood!) . Saute the peppers and onions in the same pan, add the tomatoes and herbs, return the chicken, and top it all with flavorful broth. Delish. After baking, throw it all on top of noodles and you have the most amazing dish ever. 😋😋😋 You’re making Chicken Cacciatore. Life is good.
⬆️️That pasta! The flavor here is out of this world – no joke.
Yields: 8 servings
- 1 pound pasta or egg noodles
- 8 whole chicken thighs*, skin on
- salt and black pepper, To Taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 whole medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 whole red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 whole green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- chopped parsley and parmesan cheese, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Salt and pepper both sides of the pieces of chicken. Dredge chicken in flour. Heat olive oil and butter in a heavy skillet or dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
- Place chicken skin-side down in pan, four pieces at a time. Brown chicken on both sides, then remove to a clean plate. Repeat with remaining chicken. Pour off half the fat in the pan and discard.
- Add sliced onions, peppers, and garlic. Stir around for 1 minute. Add thyme, turmeric, and salt.(crushed red pepper flakes if you like things a little spicy.) Add extra black pepper to taste. Pour in wine. Bring to a bubble. Pour in diced tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Add chicken back into the pan, skin side up, without totally submerging the chicken. Place lid on the pot and put it into the oven for 45 minutes. Remove lid and increase heat to 375 degrees. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Do not overcook! Drain and set aside.
- Remove pan from the oven. Remove chicken from the pot and place it on a plate. Remove vegetables from pot and place them on a plate. Pour cooked, drained noodles on a large platter or in a big serving bowl. Add vegetables all over the top, then place chicken pieces on top of the vegetables. Spoon juices from the pot over the chicken and pasta to taste.
- Before serving, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and grated Parmesan. Enjoy!
*You can use any piece of whole chicken.